Identify critical assets, risks and attack vectors with OT Cybersecurity Assessments
Our main OT cybersecurity assessments are the following:
- Asset & Network Discovery
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Penetration Testing
We also offer additional OT assessments such as Red Team exercises, compliance assessments, incident response assessments and more!
Importance of Having Regular OT Cybersecurity Assessments
Back in the day, IT and OT were kept separate, but nowadays with increasing interconnection and the desire for more data and streamlined processes, this gap has diminished. An understanding of what you have, how it’s all connected and the vulnerabilities that exist is crucial when it comes to protecting industrial businesses. Our OT cybersecurity assessments offer a holistic analysis of threats and vulnerabilities with recommendations on how to fix the security gaps.
Red Trident offers a full spectrum of OT cybersecurity services
- Advise – Provide guidance and compliance support
- Assess – Uncover vulnerabilities & exploit them
- Fix/Remediate – Fix the problems to lower the risk
- Monitor – Detect and respond to alerts & hunt for threats
- Respond – Incident response for any issues that arise
- Train – Provide training to your in-house team
OT Cybersecurity Assessments
– Step 1 –
Asset & Network Discovery
In order to implement a security program around production OT environments, you must understand what you have. This includes systems, software, policies, processes, and personnel.
- Comprehensive understanding of your environment
- Typically finds devices you didn’t realize you still had (and data flows that should have been removed years ago)
- Having this foundation, allows a more focused and accurate risk assessment
If you don’t currently have an accurate and up-to-date inventory list, this is where we’d recommend you start.
– Step 2 –
The next step falls into the “Identify” phase of a cybersecurity program and highlights areas of mitigation, improvement, and risk reduction for an organization.
- Identifies vulnerabilities and misconfiguration of ICS hardware, software, and networks
- Provides a clear picture of connectivity and networked assets
- Identifies risks associated with existing processes, standards, and personnel
- Identifies current capabilities to protect, detect, respond, and recover from attacks, security anomalies, or incidents
– Step 3 –
Where the Vulnerability Assessment identifies possible attack paths, the Penetration Testing validates the possible attack paths. Penetration testing can be scoped to mimic external attackers targeting OT environments from the Internet or from the corporate environment to identify pivot points into OT networks and systems. Red Trident adheres to strict rules of engagement and will not perform any testing that negatively impacts production operations.
- Validates points of entry into ICS networks and systems
- Emulates real-world attack techniques
- Confirms controls are implemented correctly or shows what needs further remediation
Other OT Cybersecurity Assessments
Red Trident’s application security assessments provide thorough testing integrated with existing development environments that can be leveraged to identify defects throughout the software development lifecycle. Our experience in testing and securing code for ICS software and firmware brings expertise that will drastically reduce risk in your software before it’s deployed to operations and safety-critical environments.
- Static Analysis
- Dynamic Analysis
- Penetration Testing and Exploitation
- Assessments of ICS software, firmware, and hardware product development
- Secure Software Development Lifecycle Assessments
Physical and logical attack campaigns that simulate real-world tactics, techniques, and procedures to break into an organization’s infrastructure and move throughout the environment. This testing challenges and evaluates existing physical and logical security measures and technologies in place and helps the organization understand how they people, processes, and technology will stand against attacks of various scales.
- Social Engineering
- Physical Red Team Exercises
- Real-world attack simulation to identify detection and response capabilities
A key component of any OT cybersecurity program is incident response. If you have an incident response team, plan, or playbook in place but don’t know how your organization would respond to a severe incident, Red Trident can help. If you haven’t yet documented or built an incident response capability, we can help there as well.
- Tabletop exercises to evaluate and document gaps in response capabilities, tools, and processes
- Identify response effectiveness against real-world attack scenarios
- Identify risks in communication, planning, and logistics during an incident
- Alignment of Business Continuity Plans to respond effectively to cyber events
- Scenarios targeted to your organization based upon threat intelligence and your critical risks and concerns
Ensuring an organization has the ability to continue operations or recover is critical to limiting the impact of an incident in ICS environments. The baseline of ‘what is in place’, should be fully understood and all of the components of operational continuity and recovery should be evaluated. This includes the plans, personnel, procedures, backups, spares, and redundancy. The following are areas of focus when evaluating documentation and the environment to which it applies:
- Technology Issues
- Manual Operations
- Redundancy of Control, Operation, and Supervision
- Critical Spares
- Software Version Control
- Data Recovery
- Backup and Recovery
- Backups and business tolerance for each of these areas
Whether you have brown field OT environments or are moving to green field, it is critical to understand security risks in architecture and network design and how to mitigate those risks. At Red Trident, our expertise in network architecture design can identify shortcomings in existing OT network architecture or even provide input from the start of the design process for a new OT environment.
- Brownfield Architecture Review
- Early Design phase engagement
- Security Acceptance Testing and Design Reviews
- Support for remote access and digital initiatives
Red Trident’s cybersecurity team has extensive experience in many OT environments including wastewater, power and utility, oil and gas, maritime, and manufacturing. Because of this, we can support cybersecurity assessments focused on regulatory, standards-based, or contractual requirements.
- Frameworks and Standards
- Regulatory compliance requirements
- Contractual compliance requirements
Why Client’s Choose Red Trident’s Assessment Services
In 2022, more Operational Technology (OT) vulnerabilities and publicly disclosed vulnerabilities were reported than any prior year. OT requires the same protection as IT, but the unique conditions of OT require an in-depth understanding of industrial processes and OT cybersecurity.
Why Red Trident
We work with you and do our best to be your cybersecurity partner. We listen to your concerns and make sure that we’re aligned with your business priorities. We don’t just come in, sell a service, write a report and walk away. We’re here for you. We explain our findings, answer any questions you might have and work with you to help where needed.
Unlike most OT cybersecurity companies, who only offer consulting and assessment services, we want to continue the journey with you and help fix any issues found during our assessments. That could include: providing guidance on how best to effectively solve the issue or we could work along side your team to augment their OT cybersecurity expertise.
No matter what you need, we want to be your partner to support you in your cybersecurity journey and get you where you want to be.
Our team consists of leaders in the ICS field with decades of combined experience in the public sector, private sector, and military. We’ve presented at major security conferences such as DEF CON, BlackHat, various ISAC’s, SANS ICS Summits, etc. We also understand how to communicate in a way that is easy to understand so you don’t end up feeling overwhelmed or confused.
Schedule a Call
Schedule a brief call to learn more about Red Trident’s Assessment Services to see which one is best for you